Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Victories

I often find that, for me, if a task takes a really long time; I begin to lose heart with it. The longer it takes to complete it and the more arduous the project the more discouraged I get. I don’t like to get dissuaded and I know that’s why I have given up on previous projects before. I don’t mean projects that could take a day, week or even a month, I’m talking about the long haul projects that could take several months to a few years to fully complete it.



How, then, do you prevent yourself from falling into the trap of “I’m never going to finish!” or “there’s no light at the end of the tunnel.” or feel like you’re trapped in a rat wheel and you’re just running stagnant in the water? I enjoy little victories. Small wins that can be attained either daily or weekly. They aren't huge audacious goals, but they aren't so insignificant that you feel like you’re wasting your time, this is, after all, your dream we’re talking about.


I’m thankful that my current project makes small victories a very easy thing to achieve as there are multiple tasks inside of it, but I still force myself to get excited over each one so I don’t dilute the purpose of the small victories. Celebrate them. Don’t open a bottle of champagne or go out to eat stake, unless it’s a big victory, but instead have a mini-party with just you or your teammates and enjoy this small victory. 

Do you celebrate little victories or is there another method you've found that keeps you going through the long grind?

No comments:

Post a Comment