Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Drip by drip

   I've always said with my kids that "consistency is key," and I sincerely mean that. I have always known that, believed it, but it's for my kids and not me. Everything from eating, sleeping and rules; it's all on a schedule, for them. Why then do I treat myself any different? Why is something so important for them treated less than significant to me?

   I like to think of caves, I know it's a little off, but is it really? Stalactites, stalagmites, one created from the other and not just in a few hours, days, or decades, but millennia. Taking a look at caves shows us 3 things:
 
   First, is that great and awe-inspiring things take time. I'm not talking about thousands of years, but time. Mozart practice for some 10,000 hours in order to become a "musical genius", but he wasn't born as such. He studied and practiced as well as many other great composers. So much can be learned if we take a cave approach and not expect things to work in out to completion in a week, or month. Some things need cultivation for years.

   The next is consistency. For every hour of every day of its birth it drips. It might do 1 gallon in 1 day, or a few ounces, but  it keeps going. Through it's consistency it creates the wonderful formations we see in inspirational posters. Drip by drop it persists.

   Lastly, we aren't done. Believe it or not just because both formations, the Stalactite and stalagmite, have connected they are not done. They continue to have minerals run over it and it accumulates, then it changes. It is no longer a tite and mite, but a pillar.

I say this to remind myself as I have a struggle. Don't go too fast, but don't go too slow or stop. Both could mean the end of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment